Tuesday, September 2, 2008

no pun intended

Thus armed with 500 dollars worth of textbooks and supplies for the semester, I begin with a hurt back. 3 days (3 days?) filled with riding around on the back of a motorcycle, I suppose, might do that to a person. Coupled with this, we add an extreme lack of sleep, a copious amount of stress, and a wonder as to whether people really are what they say they are. Seeing as I was, as such, prepared for the start of classes I made my way to campus today. Four classes today, and 3 more tomorrow make for my ever increasingly busy schedule. I enjoy my classes so far, and am excited (to a degree) to keep going tomorrow. I confused one of my professors today, and I'm not sure she entirely believe in my linguistic abilities as I presented them to her. But, they are as such and will continue to be so, whether she chooses to believe me or not.

Having to re-shift my major research topic for the semester will prove annoying, but it stands as it is. I shall endeavor to endure. A huge thanks goes out to Mr. Wells (Brandon) for giving me some hope as to a new possible topic. As many of us history majors well know, this is most true. History is not, in fact, what we remember. Rather, history is what we choose to forget. So finding those things that have been purposefully forgotten and remembering them all over is a task set only to the bravest of historians, for many will avoid this endeavor entirely.

So, as the day is now over, I head home in the hopes that things will look better from there. The thought is doubtful, but a girl can hope, can't she? I am feeling a little discouraged, and it is only day one. I await another day in anxious anticipation of what it will add to my already growing list of worries and trials.

And...HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMANDA...I know I forgot to call you, and have as yet to do so, but I shall at some point. I just want you to know that I have not forgotten you, even if you are 3,000 miles away.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Siobhan! :-)

Scottie said...

The return to school... I almost miss it in a way. I so need to get back. You'll have to fill me in on your research topic one of these days :)